Desserts are a must have for any great food storage plan. We were reminded of that when we went an entire year locked down due to a pandemic. Birthdays, Christmas, Hanukkah, anniversaries, weddings, Quinceañeras, graduations, even dinners to those who are ill, so may things to celebrate and times to provide help, what is a celebrations or service without desserts? The very first items we added to our General Stores in January was...you guessed it desserts! We did this not only because they are important but because January first is a good time to take advantage of the ingredients used in treat making which are on sale at that time. For those following our Food Storage Plan we will add desserts to our shelves again during the holiday season when these items are on sale again.
My question to you is, what are your favorite desserts to make from shelf stable items on the shelves of your General Store? What recipes have you modified so they don't need eggs?
Here are two of mine:
Chocolate Almond Fudge 2 cups (12-ounce package) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 C sliced almonds
9x13 pan lined with waxed paper
1. Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave.
2. Stir in sweetened condensed milk.
3. Stir in almond extract.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
5. Sprinkle with almonds.
6. Cool in refrigerator 1 hour.
7. Slice and enjoy
Graham Cracker Brownies
2 1/2 Cup crushed graham crackers 1 Cup chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk 1 T baking powder
1. Combine crackers and baking powder mixing well.
2. Add condensed milk and mix well.
3. Batter will be very thick.
4. Add chocolate chips and stir until combined. You may have to use your hands.
5. Generously spray an 8x8 pan and generously dust with flour.
6. Spoon batter onto several locations in baking pan and with a wet metal spoon or wet rubber spatula spread to a uniform thickness.
7. Bake 325 degrees until lightly brown about 20 minutes.
8. Cool and cut into bars or bite sized pieces.